Steger Water Department
Steger water is drawn from two wells located within the Village of Steger water supply is routinely tested for contamination. The Steger water supply meets or surpasses federal standards at which water is considered safe to drink. More information about the Water Department can be downloaded here.
Water Main Breaks
Water Main Description
Water mains are underground pipes that carry water from the Water Towers and pumping stations to your street.
What is a Water Main Break?
A hole or crack develops in the water supply pipe. The water will usually find its way to the surface. Because the water main is under pressure, water will continue to flow until the break is controlled.
Why do Water Mains Break?
Water main breaks usually result from external corrosion of the pipe. Extreme weather changes can cause the ground to swell and contract, placing excessive pressure on the water mains, causing any weakened pipe to break.
How do I report a Water Main Break?
Call Steger’s Fire/Police Non-Emergency Dispatch: 708-754-8121
How are Water Main Breaks fixed?
- Dispatch a crew to the location.
- Control the leak to reduce the risk to public safety, private and public property. We do this by finding and closing valves.
- Contact other utilities to make sure that we can dig without damaging other services or endangering staff or the public.
- Pinpoint the location of the leak.
- Dig down to the water main and confirm the cause of the leak.
- Repair the water main. Depending on the type of break, we may apply a repair clamp or replace a length of pipe.
- Disinfect the water main.
- Open valves to turn the water main back on and flush the water main.
- Backfill to temporarily restore the excavated area.
- Permanently restore the grass or pavement in the excavated area.